Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Rough Day & the Countdown

Today we had a super hard day starting at about 2 am when I woke up with a truly vomitous feeling deep in my stomach. I knew I was going to lose my dinner when I started burping Monjuni's spaghetti and meatball flavored burps. I KNEW I shouldn't have eaten the leftovers that rode in the car with us from lunch until dinnertime! What a total bonehead lapse in judgement...thank the Lord that I didn't share them with Ruby and that food poisoning doesn't pass through breastmilk because our day would have been 10 times worse than it actually turned out! After my early early morning bought of praying to the porcelain god, Alex let me sleep in (that is after nursing Elvis in bed at around 7). When I woke up Alex and the kiddos had done nothing but stare at the television for hours! By the time I finished feeding them lunch Ruby was actually asking to take a nap, which was weird but we went with it. I "let" Alex put them down, which may have been the mistake because Ruby seems to think that she has him wrapped around her finger. It took longer than the entirety of Elvis's 3 hour nap for Ruby to go to sleep. She screamed, she threw toys into E's bed, she sang to herself, she got a pop on the butt, she got her toys taken away, she jumped on her bed, she got her foot stuck under her rockin Vespa . . . what didn't she do? I thought it would never end! I have no idea what went wrong! I hoped that once she did nap and wake up that we could wipe the slate clean. HA! One can dream. Unfortunately those dreams don't always come true. It took us until bed time to salvage the day, finally while Elvis was having his bath I found my dear sweet Ruby hiding underneath that terrible two year old we had spent the day with. Oh how I missed her! I'm hoping that I've paid my dues at least for a couple of days and that Alex & I can rally together to make the best of days like this. We've made a pact to make sure that even when times are challenging that we have to be aware that Ruby and Elvis are constantly learning how to be. We want them to be ... balanced. 



Oh, Ruby and I finally made a 'countdown calendar' to Disney World. It is pretty cool.  We made it like a chain garland that she can take off a ring a day so she can see just how much time is left until we leave for our vacation. She really likes taking the rings off and throwing them away (I have to admit that I look forward to it everyday, too). I think in the next couple of weeks she'll REALLY notice how much shorter it has gotten. 

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a rough day!!!! :( I hope you're feeling better. Totally cute countdown chain! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete